Required Preparation:I have set up a multi-domain hosting site for ABetterComputerInc.com (ABCInc). This package allows unlimited addon domains, unlimited storage, and unlimited bandwidth.
I have several domains already set up as aliases on ABCInc. This means the DNS information has already propagated through the Internet.
Now I want to peel off one of the domains and create a WordPress instance.
Open a new copy of Notepad for simply taking notes, and save to the desktop.
Open cPanel:Within cPanel~
- Confirm that the new domain has been added as an alias.
- Remove from Alias domains
- Add domain to Addon domains
- Create email forwarders, including one for email@example.com
(I personally prefer to use forwarders instead of actual mail accounts.)
- Copy all the forwarders to Notepad
- Find Softaculous section and click on the Wordpress icon. Launch.
- Leave protocol at http://
- Chose the default domain (i.e. the new domain)
- Changed the directory from "wp" to nothing (removed "wp" from form) so that Wordpress would install in the root directory
- Change Site Name from My Blog to The New Domain Short Name
- Change Site Description to Clearwater, Florida (will change late)
- Did not enable multi-site ~ left the block unchecked
- Change Admin Username to something other than "admin" (e.g. my-admin-act)
- Copy the suggested admin password to notepad
- Change the email admin address to a forwarder created during the prep
- (Copy and paste from notepad.)
- Don 't install, yet. Update the advanced options.
- Opened the "+" symbol
- Database name and table prefix is OK
- Auto Upgrade
- Auto Upgrade Wordpress Plugins
- Auto Upgrade Wordpress Themes
- Automated backups once a week
- Backup rotation set to 2
Clicked on the INSTALL button....
===== Log into site using domain.com/wp-admin =====
In the dashboard, open all installed plugins
- Install the Wordfence Security plugin,by Wordfence, then changed settings
- Basic Options: Automatically Update Word fence
- Basic Options: Entered admin email address for notifications (Rick+WPWordFence)
- Saved Wordfence Basic settings
- Advance Options: Login Security Options
- Changed lockouts from 20 to 2 attempts
- Enable "Immediately lock out invalid usernames"
- Add admin and the domain names to "Immediately block the IP of users who try to sign in as these usernames"
- Save Wordfence Advance settings
Remove Akismit and Hello Dolley
Change recommended WordPress settings:
- In Settings|General: Change Time Zone to "New York"
- In Settings|General: Confirm that "Anyone can register" is unchecked
- In Settings|Reading:: Change "Your home page displays" to a static page.
- In Settings|Reading:: Change "For each article in a feed, show" from Full text to Summary
- In Settings|Discussion: Check [_] Users must be registered and logged in to comment for "Other comment settings."
- In Settings|Permalinks: Change to anything other than default (i.e. example.com/?p=123)
- Child Themify by John Bolch
- Theme File Duplicator by John Sschwab
- Contact Form 7 by Takayuki Miyoshi
- Install the Weaver Xtreme Theme
- Create a Child weaver-xtreme-child Theme
- Activate the child theme
- Install the 3 recommended Weaver Xtreme plug-ins
Went back to cPanel and uploaded the child theme snapshot.png image from my PC
Changed the front page from a blog to a static page...
Let The Fun Begin!!!
...finally, it's time to begin building the website: